Archive for March, 2010



we wouldn’t have one if it hadn’t fallen off the back of a truck (maybe not but something like 33% msrp). it is just a stove but there are actually features involved.

when lighting, it lights and the ‘piezoelectric’ ignition system stops.

the gas jets are above the stove surface. wiping and cleaning the stove is easy since you can fit your hand/sponge/rag under the jet.

cooking? bah




tim sanner (of sanner bikes) teaches a frame building class. adam’s dad is visiting for the month, and in an effort to distract hm i signed up for the basic class w/ him.

we rode down from the city most days, but this usually meant that we were a little late for the 11am start time.

after talking a little about what we wanted from our frames (i was thinking cross-ish/commuter, and adam’s dad was going for track sprinting). we drew up some bits around what lugs he had (my short head tube caused a few complications because the angles didn’t line up right) and did some cuts w/ a hole saw/file.

adam’s dad was an iron worker, but i’ve never joined anything (soldering doesn’t count at this scale). we spend some time learning to braze on the seat stays. the ‘curved’ bit where it attaches to the seat lug is done by cutting the tubes at an angle, and brazing a larger diameter tube.

i’m going to want to run ‘fat’ tires (at least as far as regular road going) so we crimped the chain stays.

tim’s student frames usually do their brzing w/ silver, but my weird angles required some additional futzing w/ the lower head lug. first, we brazed the heat tube to the lug. then we inserted teh down tube into the lug, and then we pressed until the angle was ‘right’. this took a surprising amount of force, and i was sure that i was going to bend the tube or break the braze.

next, we put the tubes in their lugs and jigged them all up for tacking.

on to the alignment table…

it was close, but not close enough. i ended up breaking one of the chain stay tacks (which we didn’t notice until doing the drop outs).

i’m doing canti brakes so my bridge is just a piece i cut off when getting the seat stay. to the right length.

i frget why, but we used a heavier silver for the bottom brackets. i had a tough time w/ this because the other silver liquified and flowed directly, but the other alloy just sort of turned goopy and sat on the surface since i had burned the flux.

a re-try got me to this which is going to work, but there’s still too much filler that i’m going to have to file down this weekend.

at this point we faced/chased our bottom brackets.

tim showing me how it’s done.

i almost got the hang of the heat levels, but still ended up w/ too much filler dripped over the lugs.

the shifter braze-ons look a lot cleaner than the head lug. maybe a little hard to tell from this shot though.

next up, filing and painting

wah bits